Everyday I am bombarded with another article or blog or email about what is and is not good for my health. I have lived many years now and I realize that people can go pretty crazy with all the information that attacks their inboxes. After awhile, you don’t care how much meat or potentially carcinogenic products you consume. BUT, for me, that “I don’t give a damn” attitude lasts for a day or two and then I am back on the wagon of ‘health.’
I ran across another well researched article form Well.org today that I wanted to share. Of course, it is one more thing to make us believe big corporations want to kill us, but that would mess up their base. They do, however, want to addict us to their products and make us ‘loyal’ customers who come back no matter what they put in their products or how they modify the size of the containers.
The article focused on chemicals in products we use daily that are incredibly harmful to our health and can be not only carcinogens, but also hormone disruptors. Hormone disruptors can cause many health conditions, including behavioral issues, i.e., depression, irritability, ADD, anxiety, even autism and more. Here are some of the chemicals to look for when shopping for anything you may put in and on your body.
- Formaldehyde – A known carcinogen that has been banned in cosmetics and toiletries in both Japan and Sweden. Its use has also been restricted by the European Commission. Of course, in the U.S., no such ban exists because it is all about money and definitely not your health. You can find this in nail polish, shampoos (watch out for baby shampoos), hair gel, body soap, and lots of cosmetics.
- Parabens – Another toxic ingredient found in beauty products. They are known hormone disruptors. As an endocrine disruptor they mimic estrogen and may cause breast cancer.
- Phthlates – Another hormone disruptor that is used to affect texture in products. Found in nail polish and hairspray, as well as many perfumes. It can also be labeled as DBP, DEHP and DEP. If you ask a sales person, they are not likely to have any knowledge of the chemical composition of any of their products. You will have to look on a label or do some research.
- Toluene – A solvent that is toxic to both the liver and the immune system. It also goes under the name of BHT. It is usually found in nail polish and hair dye. Toluene can also cause birth defects. Be studious if you are pregnant about using any product with this substance.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – is typically in almost all cosmetic products. It is a harsh sulfate found in shampoo, toothpaste, soaps and is part of the family of nitrosamines. These can lead to cancer, liver and kidney damage. Look for Sulfate free products. More and more companies are making SLS free products.
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) – Another toxic ingredient found in beauty products that is used as a thickener. The common form is called PEG-10 LAURATE and is also a skin irritant.
- Triclosan – Though banned by the FDA in soaps, it is still used in antiperspirants mostly. A 2018 study linked this chemical to gut inflammation and tumor growth. Look for it on your products and avoid it completely.
- Ethanolamine Compounds (MEA, DEA, TEA) – Linked to Liver tumors. These chemicals can be found in so many cosmetics that you will need to research any hair conditioners, dyes, lotions, shaving creams, waxes, ointments, sunscreens, eyeliners, mascara eye shadows, blush and even foundations. I probably have this in my make-up drawer now. In Europe, they are prohibited. The U.S. does not prohibit any of these chemicals from our products.
- Benzophenone – Linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive and organ toxicity. This chemical can be found in baby sunscreens, lip balm, ail polish, shampoo and conditioners, moisturizers and foundations.
Typically, the daily products we use that contain these chemicals are a lot cheaper than the organic and safe ones. But, the healthier you are, the less you will spend on the doctors, medicine tomorrow. If you use products today that cause your body to go toxic, you will not be able to work and make the money to buy even the cheap ones. You don’t have to wash your hair daily (too drying). You can use less products than you think and they will go a long way.
Your health and happiness is the most important thing in life. If using a simple product can change how you feel and act, it is worth a few extra pennies – even dollars. I am definitely going to be careful about any nail polish I use. Most are unsafe.
Look for products that contain safe chemicals, like aloe vera, polysaccharides, vitamin E. hyaluronic acid, and organic and natural ingredients. There are lists of these products on the internet. Research before you buy. If you see these chemicals in any of your products, avoid them if at all possible.
To your health…